Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

AKEELA and the BEE

No... This is not a psy-fi movie about a girl with amazing telepathic powers who can control Bees. In America, they have this kind of world wide spelling contest. I got to know about it from South Park.

In this movie, you get to reminiscence with your past. I can clearly remember my primary school spelling tests and covering my papers with my handkerchief so that my classmate next to me cannot see my answers.

The feel of the whole movie is very “made for school teachers and school children”. It did quite well in the states but unless we also have a Spelling Bee competition here, it would be rather difficult for us to relate to the tension of the competition. Even the actors in the movie put up a "kids movie" act so that kids can giggle while watching. That aside, Laurence Fishburne was great. Didn't know he can potray a English Teacher so well. haha

But generally, this is a feel good movie with moments that will make you tear or even cry. Catch it fast cause, it will be gone pretty soon. After the movie, me and marsha were spelling difficult words like... Slut, Bitch, Bimbo... with actual names attached to it. How Fun !!

Comments:
great movie... didn't know spelling bee until this movie. didn't know it would NEARLY put me to tears... must see!
 
Then u should watch the South Park Season 3 episode.
There was a monkey involved.

Details : "Hooked on Monkey Phonics"
Original Air Date: 11-10-1999
Kyle tries to teach his new rival about love; the boys compete against home-schooled kids in the annual spelling bee; and Cartman's mom agrees to teach him at home

I think u can get the South Park DVD in Hong Kong. Singapore.. erhh.. erh...
Maybe only Simpsons..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?